Title: The Road Not Taken
Poet: Robert Frost
1. Provide a brief summary of the poem.
2. Who is the speaker? Does their point of view affect the characterization in any way or are they an impartial participant?
3. Does the poem progress in chronological order, or is it cyclical? Does the poem include foreshadow?
4. What is the setting (time and place) of the poem? Is the setting symbolic in any way? Does the setting impact the action of the speaker in any way?
5. Who is the protagonist? Describe some of their character traits. Do these traits remain throughout the poem or does the speaker change? If they change, what are some of the new character traits?
6. Is there an antagonist? If so, describe some of their character traits. In what way do these traits contrast to the protagonist?
7. What is the central conflict (internal and external)? What are the opposing forces (internal and external)? Are there any significant minor conflicts?
8. What is the tone of the poem? Does the tone remain the same throughout the poem or does it change? If it changes, how so?
9. Does the poet use symbolism? If so, what symbols are used and what are their meanings?
10. What is the climax of the poem? What is the resolution of the conflict?
11. What is the main theme of the poem? Are there any minor themes?