Weve spent several weeks looking at Operations strategy how a supply chain works, its elements, etc. Unfortunately, our book fails to address the biggest area that keeps managers across the planet awake at night staffing. Its critical to a business success to have a well-defined strategy and plans/processes to implement that strategy. Nevertheless, a business will fail if it lacks personnel to execute its strategy.
Pre-pandemic, the US labor market is statistically in a state of full employment. There simply are not enough people unemployed and capable of filling job vacancies. In the United States growing economy, the labor supply is insufficient for the demand for staff.
This situation is aggravated in the manufacturing sector because of its demographics. A large percentage of manufacturing workers are greater than 60 years old. Its anticipated that they will all retire in the next 5 10 years. Who will replace them?
This assignment is a 3-4 page paper proposing a strategy for identifying, recruiting and training manufacturing personnel based on the following assumptions:
1) You are a plant manager in a mid-sized manufacturing facility. You have 600 people working for you. Youre plant is so busy, youre running 3 shifts a day.
2) One third of your employees 200 people are 60 years old or older. You anticipate that theyll retire within the next 5 10 years.
3) You have two departments where the entire team is older than 60 years old. It would be catastrophic for your business if they all retire at once.
4) The labor market in the LA metropolitan area is tight. Finding good talent has been a challenge for several years.
5) The good news is that you recognize the issue and are developing a strategy to address it. As this is California, there are some state resources available to cover training, etc.
This assignment is worth 15 points. This will require some research. This assignment is due on 9 May 2020. It should be 3-4 pages long and double spaced. Restating this problem statement does not count towards the page requirement. Please submit a Microsoft Word or pdf file using the link provided in Titanium.
Im willing to provide comments on drafts. Review drafts must be provided to me at least one week (May 2) before the due date. Its unlikely Ill have time to provide comments on drafts provided to me after this deadline.
Successful companies adapt when faced with adversity. This is your opportunity to shape the future of your company. Welcome to senior management!