In any given classroom, you will find students with a variety of learning needs, abilities, cultures, and experiences that affect how they learn and behave in the classroom. When students are attentive, focused, and engaged, they are more likely to understand and process information from lessons and learning activities. Positive behavior in the classroom often leads to academic success. How can you encourage your students to be attentive and engaged in the classroom? One way that effective teachers do this is by applying multi-tiered systems of supports (MTSS).
In the course, you learned about MTSS and strategies for implementing multi-tiered interventions to help all students learn and avoid exclusionary discipline and engage appropriately in classroom activities. In this task, you will apply what you learned in the course about appropriate learning interventions and positive behavioral interventions at each tier.
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. The originality report that is provided when you submit your task can be used as a guide.
A. Analyze a learning intervention support appropriate for Tier 1 of a multi-tiered system by doing the following:
1. Describe a learning support appropriate for Tier 1.
2. Describe a learning need and why the learning intervention support in part A1 is appropriate to address that specific need.
B. Analyze a positive behavioral intervention support appropriate for Tier 2 of a multi-tiered system by doing the following:
1. Describe a positive behavioral intervention support appropriate for Tier 2.
2. Describe a behavioral situation and why the positive behavioral intervention support in part B1 is appropriate to address that behavior.
C. Analyze a learning intervention support appropriate for Tier 3 of a multi-tiered system by doing the following:
1. Describe a learning intervention support appropriate for Tier 3.
2. Describe a learning need and why the learning intervention support in part C1 is appropriate to address that specific need.
D. Acknowledge sources, using in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.
E. Demonstrate professional communication in the content and presentation of your submission.
MTSS Helpful Links: https://www.understood.org/en/learning-thinking-differences/treatments-approaches/educational-strategies/mtss-what-you-need-to-know